Thursday, July 5, 2007

Manufacturing ignorance

I don't always subscribe to the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, I'm forced to agree.

Look at it! It tells you everything you need to know about the lines and lines that are inevitably going to follow this rambling (as always) opening salvo (paragraph, to some of you). Today, the subject of my amusement/bemusement/wrath/scorn/hate isn't one that I decided to write about as a result of my own train of thought. My muse decided to work overtime today and mention the topic and like any journalist worth his salt, I snapped it up as a story idea. Cool, non? And now, without further ado, let's be getting on with the actual story.

Not a day goes by when I don't walk past some clown sporting a Ché Guevara t-shirt, whether the conventional red screen print — that seems to be most in vogue, what with the commie red — or some more elaborate designs and a collage of his images splattered all over a garden variety black t-shirt. It isn't so much that I'm opposed to Communism per se. For the record, however, I will add that I don't really think it's a feasible or viable system for governance in most of India; that's an opinion by the way. And for another record, if you like it so much, go to Kolkata.

Moving on, I'd like to reiterate that I don't really have a problem with Ernesto Guevara or his beliefs — a terrorist to some and a revolutionary to others. What I do have a problem with is ignorant idiots who'll buy t-shirts with his visage adorning them, without knowing a thing about him, let alone the fact that he was actually an Argentine or anything about his ideologies and beliefs. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that they probably think he's the frontman for Rage Against The Machine or something. I can imagine it now:

Halfwit: Yeah yeah man... me and my boyeez are down wid' da rage. We loves Cooper O' Sullivan
Fullwit: Who? Cooper O' wha-... What the hell?
Halfwit: Yeah, you know... this guy right here *points at his t-shirt and specifically at the communist star on Ché's beret* He's all about keepin' it real!
Fullwit: *finds his palm hurtling toward halfwit's face and loud slapping sound echoes*

The brunt of this trend of stupidity isn't borne solely by ol' Mr Guevara either. Rock and metal bands also find themselves on the receiving end of this nonsense. In fact, there's two rather amusing incidents to which I had the hilarious honour of being privy. The first revolves around this little boy who lived next door to me, who I happen to spot one day in a Slipknot t-shirt. I commented on it, wondering just what a kid that tiny could see in a band like Slipknot. He informed me with a grin that he just thought the t-shirt was cool and told his mom to buy it for him. Being as it was a kid, I thought nothing of it.

A few years later, a good pal of mine who shall be henceforth referred to as AJG comes across some meathead testosterone-fuelled nugget, sporting an Alice in Chains t-shirt at some gig (can't recall). So as is AJG's wont, he went to talk Alice in Chains with the gent. Said meathead has no idea what AJG's talking about, much less that a band called Alice in Chains happens to exist! He probably thought it was Cooper O' Sullivan too.

So what does this boil down to? Are these just the rants of an elitist, who expects people to know everything about what they wear? It could be argued that it isn't that important to know what's on your t-shirt as long as it's comfortable and looks good. And I could well argue that the maker of the previous argument is a grade-A moron (BURN!!). And this is where the manufacture of ignorance steps in to the picture. Chomsky spoke of consent being manufactured by governments and those in power. I speak of t-shirt printers that are laughing their way to the bank, selling a bunch of trendy/poser idiots their wares, covered with "cool stuff" all over them. They don't create t-shirt designs. They don't manufacture ignorance (the trendies do it themselves), they just exploit the lack of awareness possessed by halfwits (who it may be added, will do anything to "be cool") and what a fine job they do of it(!)

There's far too much to go into here - FCUK t-shirts, tops with CUBA lettered on them or the Union Jack emblazoned across them or even replica football jerseys for some team that the wearer has probably never even heard of. Ultimately, when one chooses what logo, phrase or image will be proudly splashed across one's torso, one accepts a certain attachment to and dare I say, responsibility for it. For instance, one can't walk around wearing a t-shirt with Hitler on it and claim not to know the implications of it. Everything has its implications and consequences. Even sporting cool logos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

for once i actually agree with you wholeheartedly.

i remember the days of the 'slipknot hoody craze', which anoyed me especially because i actually liked slipknot, and how synonimous slipknot hoodies and 'trendy' became. I still shiver at the thought.

But look at where this has ended up: the english 'pop' charts are filled with so-called 'rock' bands...Lord help us...they play guitar, hence they are rock...this started because those trendy fuckers decided that 'rock is cool, yeh!'

but back to the point. Che Guevara is not an image for t-shirts, he was a freedom fighter...a communist freedom fighter. The people that support his cause must surely realise the hypocrisy of his face being marketed?

Quaint Murmur said...

Ahem.
*wonders how you ever thought to write about this particular topic*

*cough cough*

[I'd have come across like a grandmother lecturing to the grandbabies bouncing on her knee if I'd written it, so I'd rather you wrote it with all the punch and sting it requires....]

I think people should be ashamed of themselves if they wear t-shirts with names and faces of people they don't even know. [Like the peon with the swastika on his shirt].

I doubt they have any kind of self-respect, because they have no idea as to what and whose beliefs they're propagating.

How can you live like that? You wear a Slipknot shirt, when in all probability you've never heard them play. And you wear Che's face on the front of some t-shirt only because you think he was "cool"?

Then when you're asked who he was, don't you feel like an ignorant idiot?

Ultimate poser-like behaviour.

Ugh.

Lakshmi Javeri said...

Karan, you know i had done this story for AA about a year ago.... people wearing all these tees not having a clue about who they're sporting. my killer headline came from this classic quote... I spotted a Bandra chick, walking down Hill Road, sporting a Che T-shirt. so i obviously asked her if she was communist? So she responded, "No I believe in all religions." Of course I did not want to explain the difference between communal and communist... but the best part...

I say: "But you're wearing a Che Guevara T shirt."
She says: "I haven't heard of this Che brand..." (then points to the Che image on her T and says) "I am just a George Clooney fan" !!!!!!

There you see, I rest my case.

Darius said...

I hate to butt in, but why was Che Geuvara a subject of interest, at Alcoholics Anonymous?