Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mrs G and Dr S, you really dropped the ball

This isn't Montreal...
We're not talking about a legacy of over a decade...
Our protagonist doesn't have a very long history in the business, as it were
He doesn't even put opponents in the sharp-shooter...
Our antagonist isn't a scheming businessman... Far from it...


And no matter how loud I scream this phrase, even until my lungs burst, it will never reach the ears of the people in power. So, I will do my shouting here, in my sanctuary. It's not going to be pretty. It's going to go against a lot of my faith in the only party I feel can make a difference to India and rise above petty politics. But it has to be said. Mrs Gandhi and Dr Singh, listen the fuck up...

YOU SCREWED SHASHI!!!

Do I need to repeat it? No? I will anyway...

YOU SCREWED SHASHI!!!

Don't blame the opposition. Your opposition comprises bigoted communalists, archaic fossils, racists, sociopaths and murderers. And there are plenty of the same in your own party, don't deny it. But, in order to show yourself as blameless, you scapegoat Shashi Tharoor. Keep your nose clean and then go on the offensive. Of course, he's just a casualty of war, right? He's merely a fall-guy, so you can go on the offensive and get the upper hand in your squabbles with the opposition?

Backing a man who could've made a difference to your cabinet and Indian politics, in the face of all criticism, would've shown some gumption... some backbone. What you've done, is merely to consolidate the fact that as long as your surname is Gandhi or you suck up to someone with that surname (I refer not to the Mahatma, I talk about the Nehru-Gandhis), you can be in the Congress.

I was watching a talkshow a few moments ago, which actually prompted me to get on to the computer and vent my spleen. And on that note, I saw the editor of a magazine that I find to be a little hit-or-miss, making a very good point. "In Congress, you need to be a survivor," said Vinod Mehta, editor, Outlook. He was also of the school of thought, like me, that Shashi was a mere scapegoat. I disagree, Mr Mehta, I believe in the Congress, you need to be a domesticated animal who bows to every demand of the Gandhis.

Rahul Gandhi, for instance, has for a while been trying to portray himself as this charismatic politician. It would not surprise me if Rahul's mommy saw Shashi as a threat to Rahul's delusions of being the most charismatic and dumped him at the first opportunity. The people voted him into power. And here, you are cutting him down. Nice. You could've stood up to the dumb-ass opposition, but no, here you go towing the line.

To make matters worse, the aforementioned talk-show included that insufferable socialite (that's right, a socialite) Shobhaa De, who saw fit to pitch in about how inadequate a minister of external affairs Shashi was and how good his ouster was. What's the matter, Shobhaa? Facelift falling off? Or has Mrs G offered you a Rajya Sabha (House of Lords, FYI lukethenuke) seat? Or have you run out of bullshit to write about and those Paris trips don't quite do it anymore? Okay, those were spiteful. Answer this. Do you know shit about what Indian politics needs right now? Clearly not, because you were just commending the sacking of the type of irreverent and non-neta type we need.

But, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

I've been tingling with irritation since the news filtered in that Shashi'd been asked to step down and it got worse after watching that show. Lalit Modi is a piece of shit (sue me if you want, you piece of shit). Shashi spelt, to me at least, hope for a new breed of leaders. You cannot compare the two, just because they happen to be involved in some way or the other with the IPL.

I don't see enough members of the public backing Shashi or forcing a referendum or something to get him back as minister for external affairs. People still have heebie-jeebies because he's a two-time (nearly) divorcee, courting another woman and speaks his mind (sometimes foolishly). Hey, I'm allowed to hope, aren't I?

I hope enough people get behind Shashi.
I hope Shobhaa sticks to being a socialite (which is all she ever was and will ever be; no one gives a rat's testicle about your take on France's fashion or anything else you have to talk about)
But what I really really hope is that a man of the stature of Dr Manmohan Singh can shake off the Gandhi monopoly and kick Rahul out on his ass.
Else, I'm backing the Sena from now onwards...

In summation, I think the best way to put it would be as follows:
Dr S and Mrs G, get your act in gear. There'll be time to suck up to the Americans later. Show some backbone, because if you dont, remember forever: YOU SCREWED SHASHI!!!

No comments: